The Murray River became a major transport corridor during the 1800's, and after
the 1870 survey of the river, numbers representing miles from Albury were carved
into trees along the banks of the river between Albury and Wentworth to assist the
paddle steamer captains with navigation. Occasionally these trees can still be found
and many of those currently in existance are shown on modern river charts.
793 mile tree
During the 1990's, the NSW Waterways Authority and Tourism SA erected river kilometre markers along the
Murray from Lake Alexandrina to the Hume Dam to promote tourism on the river.
The present day river kilometre is a measure of the distance in kilometres along the river begining from zero at
the mouth with increasing distances upstream. It is a means of locating any feature along the river relative to its
distance from the mouth, when measured along the navigable course of the river.
Most Murray River kilometre markers are blue signs about one metre wide (smaller
in South Australia) with a white border and large white numbers specifying the
distance from the Murray’s mouth. In South Australia these signs are attached to
trees on either the left or right bank, with floating markers used in areas where no
appropriate trees are available. In NSW the signs are attached to trees only on the
The River Index (accessible from the menu at left), lists a variety of features and navigation markers along the
Murray River from the mouth to its junction with the Swampy Plain River, and then along the Swampy Plain
River as far as the Khancoban Weir.